– Subject: Business Information Systems
– Recommended textbook for the subject: Laudon & Laudon (2014) Management Information Systems: Managing the Digital Firm, 13th Edition. Pearson. ISBN 978-0-13-305069-1 (CHAPTERS 3 & 4).
Additional sources: http://www.valuebasedmanagement.net/methods_porter_five_forces.html
– Answer the following essay questions:
1. Define the components of the Porter’s competitive forces model and describe how it could be used effectively to the benefit of an organization you know well.
2. How do businesses use value chains to discover opportunities?
3. Describe the positive and negative impacts on societal quality of life due to the use of computers and information systems?
4. List three different ethical principles one should employ when confronted with an ethical conflict, and explain their use employing an example you have personally experienced.
5. With different types of computer systems available, how can these be used to sustain competitive organizational advantage?
6. How does our use of the Internet make it difficult to protect individual privacy and intellectual property? Identify two changes, either technical or behavioral, that you believe are crucial in order to improve this situation.
You may have noticed that when you look at products on a search engine, that same product appears as an advertisement in your social media and other sites you visit. Many search engines provide advertisers with tools for evaluating the impact of different keywords or phrases. These tools typically “track” user behavior patterns and associate products for sale by companies that subscribe to and pay for their services to help identify potential customers. On the other hand, there are also ad blockers that block this type of communication.
- What constraints, if any, should be applied to this practice? Do not repeat ideas that have been posted by other students.
- How might your feelings toward the technology be affected if you are the CIO or an executive manager at a small company that depends on this type of advertising to generate revenue?