Part 1:Chapter one of the course textbook discusses what makes the human service field distinct from other fields, such as social work and counseling psychology. For the first part of your thread, discuss why the human service field is a much needed profession and share one or two possible careers that you might be interested in pursuing. Remember that the Human Service degree is designed to prepare individuals with the necessary skills to participate in agency related activities (community care, court, agency, etc.) and does not fulfill licensure requirements. Students planning to apply for state licensureshould contact their academic advisor for information on degree programs designed to fulfill state licensurerequirements.
Part 2: Based on your study of the course materials this module/week, what do you consider the most important historical event in the history of the human services profession? Why? While you are sharing opinion here, you must demonstrate informed opinion by supporting your points with references to the course textbook.
chapter 1 (use chapter 1 power point)
1. In your own words, describe what the following statement means to you and why?
“In the absence of conclusive educational data, educational decisions should be based on assumptions which, if incorrect, will have the least dangerous effect on the student”
2. Based on your professional and perhaps personal experiences, rate the following “Reasons for Optimism” for Inclusive Practices from 1 (most optimistic) to 4 (least optimistic) and explain your rating in the textbox below.
• Inclusive Education and Schoolwide Reform ________
• Access to General Education Curriculum ________
• Positive Behavior Interventions & Peer Supports ________
• Self-Determination & Transition to Adult Life ________
3. Based on your professional and perhaps personal experiences, rate the following “Reasons for Concerns” for Inclusive Practices from 1 (greatest concern) to 5 (least concern) and explain your rating in the textbox.
• Inconsistent Access to Inclusive Education ________
• Questionable Quality of Curriculum & Instruction ________
• Too Many Families are Frustrated by the Lack of Professional Responsiveness
• Challenging Working Conditions for Special Educators _________
• Limited Post School Options _________
CHAPTER 2 (use chapter 2 power point)
1. Identify and describe the six life cycle stages:
2. Identify and describe IDEAs six principles:
3. Given the unexpected emergency school campus closures due to COVID-19, explain how each of the following issues and concerns may be even more challenging for families with learners with significant disabilities. Provide possible solutions, interventions and/or strategies for each.