In this assignment, students will perform a security assessment on a firewall.
Using the networked VMs from the Access Control Environment Installation assignment, perform a port scan of the PFSense firewall system using the Kali VM. Create a screenshot showing the results.
Using the scan results, choose five open/closed ports and determine the applicable protocol/application.
For each port, research and explain why it is good (or bad) that the default configuration is standardized.
Research and implement the basics of PFSense post-installation configuration.
- Update to the latest stable version.
- Set HTTPS to port 8443.
- Include the traffic graph on the dashboard.
- Disable port traffic for World of Warcraft.
- Disable port traffic for torrent applications.
- Disable inbound ICMP protocol.
- Choose a social media website and disable all domains for that website.
- Choose a video streaming website and enable all domains for that website.
Using the Kali VM, run another port scan. Note the differences against the original scan.
As a follow-up, research and explain the common vulnerabilities associated with the standard installation of this PFSense firewall.
Create a 700- to 1,200-word step-by-step instruction guide for the post-installation configuration. Make sure to include all required explanations and at least eight screenshots.
APA style is not required, but solid technical writing is expected.
This assignment uses a basic scoring guide, provided by your instructor. Please review the scoring guide prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.