Tomlinson (2001) described differentiated assessment as an ongoing process through which teachers gather data before, during, and after instruction from multiple sources to identify learners’ needs and strengths. In a quality class that is built on the foundation of differentiation, the teacher will infuse a constant stream of assessments (before, during, and after) to help identify student’s needs and to help improve learning.
Use the information in your text and from the following websites and video to explore definitions, explanations and examples of pre-assessments, formative assessments, and summative assessments.
- 25 quick formative assessments for a differentiated classroom.
- What is Differentiated Assessment? (Links to an external site.)
After viewing the resources:
- Explain the role of assessment as it applies to theoretical foundations of differentiated instruction.
- Describe how assessment can be created that evaluates a student’s true knowledge without bias towards language barriers, learning differences, or cultural differences.
- Choose one differentiated assessment strategy (either pre, formative, or summative) from the course text (or from the recommended websites or video) and present a rationale for using the assessment to meet the needs of diverse learners and how it will be used to drive future instruction.Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapters 2 and 3 in your text, The Five Functions of Effective Management.Address the following bullets, and provide an example company for each structure, with supporting rationale:
- Provide an example of one company that should employ the simple structure organizational configuration.
- Provide an example of one company that uses the machine bureaucracy form of structure.
- Describe the kinds of organizations should feature a professional bureaucracy form of structure. Give an example of one such organization.
- Describe the kinds of firms should use the divisional form of structure. Provide an example.
- Describe the types of organizations are best suited to the adhocracy form of structure. Provide an example.