1. Please read the Chapter 8, Chapter 10 and Chapter 18 that you find in the textbook for this course.
Chapter 8: Media and Technology (http://opentextbc.ca/introductiontosociology/chapter/chapter8-media-and-technology/);
Chapter 10: Global Inequality (http://opentextbc.ca/introductiontosociology/chapter/chapter10-global-inequality/);
Chapter 18: Work and the Economy (http://opentextbc.ca/introductiontosociology/chapter/chapter18-work-and-the-economy/).
Based on what you have learned in this unit, answer the following questions:
- Do you believe that technology has indeed flattened the world in terms of providing economic opportunity?
- Do you believe digital media have changed social interaction and human connections?
- How do you think the economy in your country will change as it moves closer to a technology-driven service economy?
2. There is much criticism that modernization theory is Eurocentric. Do you think dependency theory and globalization theory are also biased? Why or why not? Compare and contrast modernization theory, dependency theory, and globalization theory. Which do you think is more useful for explaining global inequality? Explain, using examples.
Submit a paper that is well constructed using APA format. The paper should be a minimum of one typewritten page (approximately 300 to 400 words) with an introduction and conclusion. This paper shall demonstrate use of standard written English with respect to: organization, grammar, spelling, composition, sentence structure, punctuation, and construction.
3. Briefly acquaint yourself with the Boston Globe entry about Jacques Ellul: https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2012/07/07/jacques-ellul-conference/1BVZp8uEiGKoeXAmkDJpeO/story.html
Afterwards read a couple of pages from the following work by this author: http://www.edgeofgrace.net/2006/11/10/jacques-ellul-on-propaganda/.
Please discuss this reading assignment in light of the reading materials for this unit.
Ellul, J. (1965). Propaganda: The formation of men’s attitudes. New York: Knopf.