People often believe that mental illness leads to suicide. While the topics correlate, these do not cause the other to occur. In this discussion, you will explore mental illness, suicide, and the impacts on society.
- Identify factors associated with suicide (A, B, C, D, E)
- Classify which individuals are more likely to commit suicide (A, B, C, D, E)
- Analyze different views about suicide based upon the context (A, B, C, D)
- Describe the social perspectives of mental illness (A, B, C, D, E)
- Analyze the global perspective of mental disorders (A, B, C, D, E)
- In this discussion, consider the factors that lead to suicidal thoughts and actions. Explore how people with mental illness suffer from social stigmas which impacts their acceptance. Thus, impacting their ability to engage and choose healthy behaviors.
- Explain at least two factors that play a role in suicide ideas, attempts, or completions.
- Select one sociological theory that attempts to explore why suicides occur.
- Explain how mental illness might influence but not cause suicides. Make sure to explain how national and global perspectives on mental illness impact individuals.
- What types of resources exist within your community and nationally that assist people who are considering suicide or struggle with mental illness?
- Respond to the discussion question after researching the topic. Share with your classmates what you learned by writing a post about the topic. The post should be a minimum of 300 words. Your post must include atleast two sources cited in APA Style.