Before the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) was reauthorized as IDEA 2004 (PL 108-446), the main criteria for a special education designation as a student with a specific learning disability was a major discrepancy between IQ score and achievement. Because this discrepancy was not always apparent in a student until late elementary school, schools adopted a “wait to fail” attitude that often did not identify a student’s learning and other disabilities until it was too late for successful intervention.
In response, IDEA 2004 incorporated language to assist states in identifying students with exceptionalities earlier to allow education professionals to be proactive in interventions and supports for students who are struggling academically and behaviorally. In addition, Section 504 is credited with being aligned to an MTSS, as both share the same goal of using problem solving efforts to support students as well as granting students access to learning (Brown-Chidsey & Bickford, 2016). Within an MTSS, interventions provided through each tier benefit all students, those with and without exceptionalities. Both legislative procedures encourage school-wide intervention models that use research-based strategies to improve school performance for all students. This evolution has resulted in many state and district leaders becoming motivated to learn more about multi-tiered systems of support and appropriate special education referrals.
As a special education leader, it is critical to understand how the role of special education has evolved as MTSS has been incorporated into educational environments. For this Discussion, you will assume the role of the special education leader in which you lead the problem-solving team in creating a school-wide multi-tiered system of support.
· Review the module Learning Resources and view all module media. Consider the historical and national changes with regards to RtI, PBIS, MTSS and school-wide intervention models. Reflect on the evolution of special education and its alignment to MTSS in Chapters 24 and 25 of the Brown-Chidsey and Bickford text.
· Conduct research on the integration of special education within an MTSS. Reflect on historical and national changes in integrating special education in an MTSS. Identify any gaps you find in research.
A response addressing the following:
· Explain how research has evolved regarding the integration of special education within a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS). Be sure to explain the gaps in practice of special education within a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS) that have occurred during this evolution. Be sure to explain the gaps in practice that have occurred during this evolution.
· Explain the role of special education in a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS). Identify the importance and benefits of having a special education teacher/leader on this school-based problem-solving team.
Note: To access this module’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
Brown-Chidsey, R. & Bickford, R. (2016). Practical handbook of multi-tiered systems of support: Building academic and behavioral success in schools. New York, NY: Guildford Press.
· Chapter 1, “Introduction” (pp. 1–6)
· Chapter 24, “Education for All” (pp. 266–278)
· Chapter 25, “Recognition and Support for Disabilities” (pp. 279–296)
Leko, M. M., Brownell, M. T., Sindelar, P. T., & Kiely, M. T. (2015). Envisioning the Future of Special Education Personnel Preparation in a Standards-Based Era. Exceptional Children, 82(1), 25-43.
Debnam, K. J., Pas, E. T., & Bradshaw, C. P. (2012). Secondary and tertiary support systems in schools implementing school-wide positive behavioral interventions and supports: A preliminary descriptive analysis. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions, 14(3), 142–152.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2012c). RtI: Special education [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 13 minutes.
Accessible player –Downloads– Download Video w/CC Download Audio Download Transcript