(Read the instruction & No Plagiarism)
Cooperative learning groups are a wonderful way for students to interact with one another to learn or practice content. It is equally important that how the educator manages these groups is well planned. Allocate at least 2 hours to support this field experience.
Part 1: Observation and Interview
For this field experience, you will observe a K-8 class. Coordinate with your mentor teacher to determine the best time to observe before and during a group learning activity. As you observe, consider the following questions:
- How would you describe the environment of the classroom, including organization, materials, seating arrangement, visual aids, etc.?
- How does the teacher create an environment conducive to group learning activities?
- How did the teacher prepare students for group learning activities? How were expectations communicated?
- What student behavioral situations did you observe during group learning activities?
- How did the teacher deal with behavioral situations during group learning activities?
- If no behavioral situations were observed, what strategies did the teacher employ to prevent them?
Following your observation, outside of classroom hours, discuss with your mentor teacher the classroom management and group learning techniques implemented in his or her classroom. Below is a list of questions to address:
- How did you develop your classroom management plan? Is it written?
- Were you able to choose your own classroom management model and behavior management system?
- Were you able to accommodate your personal philosophies with the school’s initiatives?
- What are you doing visually and systematically in the classroom to support classroom management?
- How do you create an environment conducive to group learning activities?
- How do you deal with behavioral situations during group learning activities?
- How do you set the expectations for group learning activities?
- What strategies are the most beneficial when managing group learning activities?
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
Part 2: Summary and Reflection
In 500-750 words, summarize your observations of the group activities and your interview with your mentor teacher. Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the GCU Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.