The sources for this module’s Case Paper are listed below. The core of the case is a description of an actual team development situation, found in the classic article and case:
Charlie Poole’s Three Week Project Turnaround Retrieved on June 8, 2012, from http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ThreeWeekProjectTurnaround and http://www.charliepoole.org/article.php?p=turnaround
You can use the prior module references and the following materials to answer the case question:
Cooper, A. Building your Project Team, Project Smart, Retrieved on June 8, 2012, from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/building-your-project-team.html
McCann, D. and R. Aldersea Managing Team Performance: Unrealistic vision or attainable reality? Team Management Systems Retrieved on June 8, 2012, from http://www.tms.com.au/tms12-1i.html
Ponce, R. Project Management: 8 Steps to On-Time, On-Budget Delivery , CIO Magazine, July 26, 2009 Retrieved on June 8, 2012, from http://www.cio.com/article/493128/Project_Management_8_Steps_to_On_Time_On_Budget_Delivery
Note also that Poole describes the use of certain “extreme programming” (XP, not to be confused with Windows XP) practices such as “Continuous Integration”, “Small Releases”, “Onsite Customer” and “the Planning Game”. You may want to use the Wiki or other XP sources to research these practices to some degree in pursuit of your ideas.
Use information from the modular background readings as well as any good quality resource you can find. Please cite all sources and provide a reference list (use APA format) at the end of your paper.
LENGTH: 3-5 pages typed and double-spaced.
Your answer to the following question will be assessed:
“Lessons learned from the Three Week Project Turnaround: What went right, what went wrong, and why”
In answering your question you may want to consider:
· How much flexibility do project managers typically exercise in situations like this?
· Have you ever been in a situation even remotely like that of the three-week project?
· How much do you have to know about methodologies like those described here, in order to make them work for you and your team?
· Is it really true that it doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you get results? Or is it possible that in fact no good deed goes unpunished?
The following items will be assessed in particular:
1. Your ability to apply your understanding of complex issues involved in the case question.
2. Your support for assertions using examples, citations (use Required Reading), and elaboration to support assertions. Evidence that you have read the required background materials.
3. Description of how to plan, develop, manage, and monitor the success of a variety of teams in an organization.
4. Explanation of how to observe a team in action and then suggest ways to improve their processes in order to reach their set goals
5. Evidence of your thinking about the issues, and going beyond the obvious to develop an analysis reflecting your own critical thinking. (Note: This is discussed in Welcome Message and module Home pages).
Your paper is well written and the references are properly cited and listed.
Length: Follows the number of pages required in the assignment (excluding cover page and references). Each page should have about 300 words.