The homework for this chapter is a 1-page response paper to the Documentary “A Changing Heart” about marriage in Japan. Your paper should include:
- A short summary of how marriage and romantic love have changed in Japan over the last century
- A paragraph on what has caused this change OR a paragraph explaining what impact changes in marriage have had on other parts of Japanese society
- A paragraph discussing what the case in Japan can tell sociology generally about variation in marriage and gender roles cross-culturally
Remember, in a response paper, experiment with analysis and apply critical thinking:
- Question assumptions.
- Look out for cause-and-effect relationships.
- Apply course material and social theory to your society.
- Describe and explain social patterns.
Target length: 1 page exactly (If you choose to use titles or headings, please put them on a title page). You may not hit the length target, and that is not the end of the world (or your grade), but focus and control are important writing skills so try.
The text of your paper should begin at the top of the page and continue to the bottom of that page (within one line of the bottom margin). Try not to go over 1 page, although if you have a really good point to make I will not count off.
Format–10% 12 point Times New Roman; 1 inch margins on all sides, double spaced, indent new paragraphs.
Mechanics – 20%
Your writing should consist of grammatically complete sentences with correct spelling and punctuation.
Content – 70%
General comments on content pertain to revision and proofreading. A good idea is to ask another person to read your paper and give you feedback.