Week 9 Assignment NRNP 6645
· Review this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide about diagnosing and treating PTSD.
· View the media Presentation Example: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and assess the client in the case study.
· For guidance on assessing the client, refer to Chapter 3 of the Wheeler text.
Note: To complete this Assignment, you must assess the client, but you are not required to submit a formal comprehensive client assessment.
1–2 pages, address the following:
· Briefly explain the neurobiological basis for PTSD illness.
· Discuss the DSM-5-TR diagnostic criteria for PTSD and relate these criteria to the symptomology presented in the case study. Does the video case presentation provide sufficient information to derive a PTSD diagnosis? Justify your reasoning. Do you agree with the other diagnoses in the case presentation? Why or why not?
· Discuss one other psychotherapy treatment option for the client in this case study. Explain whether your treatment option is considered a “gold standard treatment” from a clinical practice guideline perspective, and why using gold standard, evidence-based treatments from clinical practice guidelines is important for psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioners.
Support your Assignment with specific examples from this week’s media and at least three peer-reviewed, evidence-based sources. Explain why each of your supporting sources is considered scholarly. Attach the PDFs of your sources.
· American Psychiatric Association. (2022). (5th ed., text rev.). https://go.openathens.net/redirector/waldenu.edu?url=https://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/doi/book/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425787
· “Culture and Psychiatric Diagnosis”
· American Psychiatric Association. (2017). . https://www.apa.org/ptsd-guideline
· Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2014). . https://ncsacw.samhsa.gov/userfiles/files/SAMHSA_Trauma.pdfCredit: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. SAMHSA’s Concept of Trauma and Guidance for a Trauma-Informed Approach. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 14-4884. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2014.
· Tye, S., Van Voorhees, E., Hu, C., & Lineberry, T. (2015). . Harvard Review of Psychiatry, 23(1), 51–58. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4542003/Credit: Preclinical Perspectives on Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Criteria in DSM-5 by Susannah Tye, PhD, Elizabeth Van Voorhees, PhD, Chunling Hu, MD, PhD, and Timothy Lineberry, MD, in HARVARD REVIEW OF PSYCHIATRY, Vol. 23/Issue 1. Copyright 2015 by ROUTLEDGE. Reprinted by permission of ROUTLEDGE via the Copyright Clearance Center.
· Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2020). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (3rd ed.). Springer Publishing.
· Chapter 3, “Assessment and Diagnosis” (Previously read in Week 2)
· Chapter 7, “Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy”
· Chapter 11, “Trauma Resiliency Model Therapy”
· Chapter 15, “Trauma-Informed Medication Management”
· Chapter 17, “Stabilization for Trauma and Dissociation”
· Chapter 18, “Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Complex Trauma”
· Grande, T. (2019, August 21). [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkSv_zPH-M4
· Gift from Within. (Producer). (2008). [Video]. https://go.openathens.net/redirector/waldenu.edu?url=https://video.alexanderstreet.com/watch/ptsd-and-veterans-a-conversation-with-dr-frank-ochberg
· Know & Grow with Dr. K. (2021, July 18). (Strictly Medical-English Version). [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o98ilXH5gto