This module’s Case asks the question, “What do you really want or need to know about project management?” The Internet is full of resources if you want them. On the one hand, we have a highly structured and comprehensive and logical discussion on Systems Development such as:
Khan, A.W. & Khan, S.U. (2013). Critical success factors for offshore software outsourcing contract management from vendors’ perspective: an exploratory study using a systematic literature review.
Other relevant articles include:
Alecu, F. (2011). Managing software development projects: The project management process. Oeconomics of Knowledge, 3(3), 26-33.
FFIEC, Booklet: Development and Acquisition, Section: Development Procedures, Subsection: Systems Development Life Cycle, Retrieved on June 8, 2012, from http://ithandbook.ffiec.gov/it-booklets/development-and-acquisition.aspx
For the case assignment, read the required material and consult material from the Background Readings or related other materials you find yourself (be sure to reference properly whatever specific sources you draw on), Case assignment expectations:
Use information from the modular background readings as well as any good quality resource you can find. Please cite all sources and provide a reference list (use APA format) at the end of your paper.
LENGTH: 3-5 pages typed and double-spaced.
Your answer to the following question will be assessed:
“What’s the appropriate level and kinds of advice about the Systems Development Life Cycle are appropriate to give to the aspiring Project manager?”
The following questions are suggested as things to think about, not necessarily as points to be answered specifically in your paper:
· How is knowledge of the SDLC useful in IT project management?’
· What would you want to know in the same situation?
· Do you think the SDLC is dated or is it still necessary to project management?
· Can you depend on the Internet to provide current materials on the SDLC?
Be sure to include appropriate citations from the cases you choose, including B&W, as well as your general conclusions and advice to others; you should try to have at least five to seven specific guidelines, together with your justification for them.
Assignment Expectations (50 points total)
Length: Follow the number of pages required in the assignment excluding cover page and references. Each page should have about 300 words.
Your assignment will be evaluated based on the Rubric.
The following items will be assessed in particular:
1. Your ability to apply your understanding of complex issues involved in the case question.
2. Your support for assertions using examples, citations (use required readings), and elaboration to support assertions. Evidence that you have read the required background materials.
3. Description of the SDLC.
4. Discussion of the limitations of the SDLC
5. Discussion of the advantages of the SDLC